Friday, February 28, 2014

If you’re doing it right, you’re smiling

A blog post written by motivational speaker, Marilyn Sherman 

There I was ordering deli meats from a counter inside a grocery store on a recent road trip. Mister McScrooge was doing everything right – offering us samples, slicing our requests to our satisfaction, asking if there was anything else he could do for us. I looked at my husband, wondering what was wrong with this transaction? There was something missing. Then it hit me.

His smile.
If you're doing it right, you're smiling! 

 

He didn’t smile one time! As a motivational speaker by trade, I couldn’t let this go. So I started making comments like 'Thank you very much.  Awesome.  Appreciate it.'  To no avail. No smile. Nothing.

 

Then, as he was wrapping up our final order, a co-worker walked by with a pan fresh out of the oven with a warning; “Hot stuff…hot stuff”. To which Mister McScrooge turned into Mister McSmooth and quietly responded, “Why yes. Yes I am.”

Ha! It was so subtle and so funny! To which I replied, ‘Oh you are, are you?’

And there it was…a huge grin! One of those ‘oh I got caught’ grins! His whole face lit up! He even, dare I say it, laughed! I wondered where was THAT smile when we walked up to his counter?

I don't know what the message is to this post exactly. Is it the importance of a smile? Is it the insistence to hang in there and find a way to make someone else smile? Is it to be more aware of how important human interaction is when serving others? I don't know. But what I do know is that when I saw that smile on the worker as I walked away, it put a smile on my face and it made my day.

From your happy to be smiling today motivational speaker, Marilyn Sherman

________________________

Want Marilyn Sherman to have the same effect to your group? To learn more, check out Marilyn's website: www.marilynsherman.com. To hear more about Marilyn's customized presentations, check her availability or fees - contact Sarah at Standard Ovation: sarah@thestandardovation.com or 913.498.9775 or you can contact us through the web. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment